- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.
- Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- Blend into the creamed mixture.
- Stir in the hot water. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour (I found mine was done after baking for approximately 35 minutes.) in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan before serving.
NotesOne of the ultimate holiday treats!