- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 quarts chopped green tomatoes
- 1 1/2 quarts peeled, chopped tart apples
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1/2 cup diced candied citron, lemon or orange peel
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 cup Vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a large heavy pan. (Omit cloves if you plan to freeze mincemeat.)
- Cook mixture slowly until it is tender and thick, about 1 hour or more. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- To can, pour boiling mixture into hot, sterile jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal promptly. Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Store in a cool dry place.
- To freeze, pack cold mincemeat into freezer jars or containers, leaving about an inch headspace for expansion. Seal and freeze promptly.
- Makes about 5 to 6 quarts
NotesA thrifty way to use up green tomatoes left on the vines after the first frost