OLD-FASHIONED MACARONI AND CHEESE
- 1 and 3/4 cups elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk (I prefer whole, but 2% would work)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (the sharper, the better)
Preheat oven to 350. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, add elbows, and cook for 4 minutes exactly. Drain pasta, cover colander with a damp towel, and set aside until needed.
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Once foaming has subsided, whisk in flour, mustard, salt, and pepper. Cook for a minute or so, to cook out the raw flour taste. Slowly, whisk all the milk into the butter mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens (about 5 minutes or so). Once it's nice and thick, cut the heat back to low, and slowly stir in the cheese. Once all the cheese has melted, add the macaroni to the saucepan and stir to coat the pasta with the cheese mixture.
Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.