- Cooking Time: 70
- Servings: 18
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 pounds fresh peaches - peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt.
- Work in the shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cold water.
- Sprinkle over flour mixture, and work with hands to form dough into a ball.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Roll out half of dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Place in a 9x13 inch baking dish, covering bottom and halfway up sides.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a large saucepan, mix the peaches, lemon juice, and orange juice.
- Add 1/2 cup butter, and cook over medium-low heat until butter is melted.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together 2 cups sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cornstarch; mix into peach mixture.
- Remove from heat, and pour into baked crust.
- Roll remaining dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
- Cut into half-inch-wide strips.
- Weave strips into a lattice over peaches. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until top crust is golden brown.
NotesFresh peaches and homemade crust...but worth every minute! Flaky pastry enclosing peaches flavored with lemon and orange juice and spiced with nutmeg and cinnamon. Absolutely delicious served warm with vanilla ice cream! Never any leftovers with this dessert
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
CHOCOLATE COVERED CHERRY COOKIES
Tomato & Sweet Pepper SalsaSee More