- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a very moist and rich cake. My husband's Aunt Linda make this every year for Christmas Eve get-to-gather. He looks forward to it, his year is not whole without this cake.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup prunes, pitted and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour Bundt or tube pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, soda, salt, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, eggs and 1 1/2 cup sugar. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add flour mixture, alternating with 1 cup buttermilk, starting and ending with dry ingredients. beat well after each addition.
- Stir in prunes, pecans and 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
- Pour into greased and floured bundt or tube pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Make large, deep holes in hot cake and pour topping in holes and on top of cake a little at a time, giving it time to soak in.