- Cooking Time: 2 hours
- Servings: 20 1 cup portions
- Preparation Time: 90 minutes
- OLD FASHION NAVY BEAN SOUP
- 2 pounds navy beans
- 4 quarts low sodium beef broth
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup heavy cream I
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- I use low-sodium beef broth in the recipe so I can control the amount of salt that gets added to the recipe. I'd rather add salt later than use a heavily salted beef stock or base.
- You need an 8-quart stockpot or No. 10 Dutch oven for this recipe. Use a 12-inch deep camp oven if you're cooking over hot coals outdoors.
- Pick over beans, removing discolored beans and foreign matter. Wash thoroughly in cold water. Cover beans with beef broth and bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes. Turn off heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Saute onions and carrots and sweat under medium-low heat until soft. Add tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes before adding vegetable mixture to the bean pot.
- Bring beans to a boil, cover and simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender. If needed, thicken soup with a flour and paste. Remove ham hocks and remove and chop meat and add back into the pot.
- Stir in the heavy cream and parsley just before serving.
- Serves 20 (1-cup) portions. When used as the main course, the recipe will only serve 12 to 16 persons. This recipe yields about 5 to 5-1/2 quarts.
NotesThe old fashion navy bean soup is composite recipe from the Denver and Rio Grand Western Railroad and the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway. It is a family favorite.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
My Family Cookbook
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More