- Cooking Time: 35-40
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 lge red onion, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 fresh hot Italian sausages
- 4 fresh sweet Italian sausages
- 1 cup milled or crushed canned Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 c dry red wine
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, and peppers, and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausages, and cook about 4 minutes more, until sausages begin to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, oregano, and a large pinch of salt.
- Cover, bring to a simmer, and simmer gently about 25 minutes, until the peppers are very soft.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.