- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half, light cream, or whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 4- to 6-inch vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract*
- 1-1/4 cups whipping cream
- In a large saucepan heat and stir half-and-half, sugar, and vanilla bean (if using) just to a simmer. Remove from heat. Remove vanilla bean; let cool. Using a paring knife, slit vanilla bean lengthwise. Scrape out seeds. Stir seeds (or vanilla extract, if using) and whipping cream into milk mixture. Cover; chill about 4 hours.
- Freeze mixture in ice-cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions. Ripen 4 hours. Makes 1-1/2 quarts (twelve, 1/2-cup servings).
- *Note: Omit heating the mixture if using vanilla extract.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Jean’s Recipe File
WorkingBug's Open House CookbookSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More