- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryHappy New Year everyone! Olie Bollen are traditionally eaten on New Year's Eve in the Netherlands, but you don't have to wait until than to make them.
- 6 cups potato water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 yeast cakes
- 12 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup golden sultanas
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Dissolve the yeast cakes in lukewarm water.
- In a large stainless bowl mix all the ingredients into a soft dough.
- Let sit in warm place, till it raises double in size.
- Drop dough by spoonful in hot oil in a deep fryer, fry until golden.
- Very important that you don't overcrowed the olie bollen.
- Drain oliebollen on a large platter covered with paper towels.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Smaaklijk Eten!