- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 30 to 35
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 tbl Melted lard or butter
- 1 cup Sour milk, or buttermilk
- 1 tsp Grated nutmeg
- 4 cup Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 2 tsp Cream of tartar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Beat the eggs and sugar together.
- Beat in the lard and then the sour milk or buttermilk.
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Add to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Roll the dough out on a floured board to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
- Cut into rings with a doughnut cutter.
- Let the rings rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cooking them.
- Fry in deep hot oil until brown on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels then roll in sugar or a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!See More
Black Raspberry Chip Ice Cream
Chicken with Asparagus and Pine Nuts
Bacon And Cabbage SoupSee More