- Cooking Time: 40-45 min
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30 min
- 1 18.25-ounce box Betty Crocker white cake mix
- 1?206-140? cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- LEMON CREAM FILLING
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- VANILLA CRUMB TOPPING
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ?206-140? cup cold butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- Make white cake using water, oil and egg whites and following directions on the box. Pour batter into a greased 10-inch cake pan or springform pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Allow cake to cool completely when it comes out of oven.
- Make lemon cream filling by mixing cream cheese and confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in lemon juice. Whip cream in a large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until it forms stiff peaks. Fold cream cheese mixture with whipped cream. Stir gently by hand until blended.
- Make crumb topping by combining flour and confectioners' sugar in medium bowl. Add butter and dribble in the vanilla extract. Use your hands to mix cold butter into flour and sugar. Break butter into smaller and smaller pieces as you incorporate it into the dry ingredients. Be sure not to press the mixture together. You want to end up with a very crumbly consistency with pieces no bigger than a pea. (If you have trouble making small crumbs, pop the bowl into your fridge for a few minutes.) Chill this crumb topping until you are ready to use it.
- When the cake is cool, slice it in half horizontally through the middle and remove the top. Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of the cake and press it onto the sides all the way around the cake. Now chill the cake for at least 3 hours before serving. When you are ready to dig in, slice cake into 12 slices. Serve each slice topped with confectioners' sugar tapped through a strainer.
NotesMy best friend loves Olive Garden's Lemon Cake. So for New Years I decided to make him this clone version. Hope this recipe is a joy to you!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013See More
Hard Rock Cafe Cole Slaw Clone
Mashed Sweet PotatoesSee More