- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon (one package) dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- For the filling:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 leeks, white part plus 2 inches of the green, sliced to inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups black juicy olives, like Amphissa, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons milk for brushing
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds to sprinkle (optional)
- Dilute the yeast in 112 cup warm water.
- Place the flour in the bowl of a food processor equipped with dough hooks.
- Add the salt and with the motor running, pour in the yeast mixture, the lemon juice, olive oil and the rest of the water, as needed.
- Process for about 1 minute, to get a smooth dough that forms a ball in the processor.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and shape into a ball
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise for about 35 minutes, until doubled.
- Take cupful pieces of dough and flatten them with a rolling pin or your hands, to make saucer size disks.
- Let them stand, while you prepare the filling.
- Warm the oven to 200 C.
- In a skillet warm the olive oil and saute the onions and leeks, until soft and transparent.
- Add the olives, pine nuts, parsley and mint and remove from the heal.
- Season with pepper and taste to adjust the seasoning.
- To fill the little pies, put 2 tablespoons of the filling on each disk of dough, brush the borders with a little water and fold them in half, to cover the filling and obtain pillow like little pies.
- Brush with a little milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if you like.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let them cool on a rack, and serve them warm or cold.
NotesNOTE : You can make the pies bite size with walnut size pieces of dough or you can make a whole round or square pie, dividing the pastry in two and using half for the bottom and half for the top of the pan, spreading the filling evenly in between
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Gluten-Free and DeliciousSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More