- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup quality Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 2 cups Confectioners Sugar
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tablespoon softened Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2-3 tablespoons Warm Water, plus more for dipping the knife when spreading the frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease and line an 8 inch springform cake tin with baking paper.
- For the cake: sift the flour, baking soda, cocoa and sugar into a mixing bowl (for use with an electric mixer - or if lacking an electric mixer and feeling particularly spritely you can mix vigorously by hand). Add the salt and stir.
- Whisk the eggs lightly before adding them to the mixing bowl with the softened butter, oil, vanilla extract, milk and vinegar.
- Beat the mixture on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape the bowl to ensure all the mixture is being incorporated then beat on high for 3 minutes. Pour the mixture into your prepared cake tin.
- Bake in your hot oven for ~60 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Depending on the strength of you oven, you might like to check it at 50 minutes.
- For the frosting: sift the confectioners sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl, then add the butter and vanilla. Whisk in the warm water, a tablespoon at a time, until smooth and spreadable
- Using a butter knife dipping in hot water, spread the icing on the top of the cooled cake. Be as generous/ugly as you like. We’ll call it rustic.
- Dust your frosted cake with more confectioners sugar, decorate with lollies or maybe just finish it all off with a generous sprinkling of Malden sea salt flakes... go with your mood, whether classic, childish or crazy (good).
NotesAdults will probably like it lightly sprinkled with sea salt
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Summertime SippersSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More