- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Preparation Time: 2-3 minutes
BackstoryThe best thing about this recipe is that it can be done in half an hour or so. It's wicked easy and just awesome. You can also add anything you like to it like meatballs, sausage, zucchini, mushrooms, whatever. Just brown anything that needs browning first then take it out and add it back in when you add the pasta. I got the basic recipe from America's Test Kitchen, but since I forgot to write it down while I was watching I don't know how close to what they made it is. The spices should be adjusted for taste. I don't like a sauce that's too heavily seasoned, but others might. If you taste the liquid before you put the pasta in it will give you a adequate idea of what it will taste like in the end.
- 1 lb ziti
- 3 cloves of minced garlic (or more)
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups of water (a 28 oz can holds this much)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 - 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- mozzarella and lots of it
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 475.
- Brown the onion in a large, ovensafe pot.
- Add the garlic and cook till fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and seasonings and give it a good stir.
- Add the water and pasta and stir again.
- Bring just to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring frequently, till ziti is cooked al-dente.
- Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if it needs more.
- Cover with cheese and bake till the cheese is brown and crispy, 10-12 minutes.