ONE POT CHICKEN AND CHORIZO
- Cooking Time: 180
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 45
- 2 ½ Lbs. bone-in skin-on chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ Lb smoked, dried chorizo, cut into 1-inch-thick slices (I used fresh – couldn’t find dried)
- 2 Tbsp roughly chopped fresh oregano
- ½ Tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ cups long-grain brown rice, rinsed
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 roasted red peppers, peeled, seeded, and cut into thick strips (buy a jar of roasted red peppers)
- 3 cups of chicken broth
Pre-heat oven to 400
Season the Chicken with salt and pepper
Heat the olive oil in a cast iron Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Working in batches, add the chicken, skin side down, and cook, without turning, until the skin is a deep golden brown, about 8 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. (Pour off and discard any accumulated fat and juices, save them if the sausage doesn't have enough for sauteeing the the veg.) Add chorizo to Dutch oven and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to a plate, leaving the fat behind in Dutch oven. Set chorizo aside.
Add oregano, red pepper, garlic, onion, and bay leaf to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is lightly browned an somewhat soft, about 8 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until surface is glossy, about 2 minutes. Add wine, bring to a boil while stirring often, and reduce by half, about 1 minute. Place chicken, chorizo, and peppers into rice mixture. Pour in broth and season liquid to taste with salt and pepper. Cover the Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat. Transfer to the oven and bake until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 1 hour, 10 minutes.
Remove the dish from oven, uncover, and gently stir in peas with a fork. Let sit for 10 minutes, covered, to allow the flavors to meld.