ONE-HOUR BUTTERMILK ROLLS
- Servings: 18
- 2 pkgs. (1/4 oz. each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup very warm water (115 degrees-120 degrees)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed vegetable shortening
- 3 tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Butter three 6-cup muffin pans.
In bowl stir yeast into warm water until dissolved.
Stir in next 5 ingredients until combined. (Mixture will be lumpy.)
Stir in flour, 1 cup at a time, until soft dough forms.
Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8 minutes.
Let stand 10 minutes.
Divide into 18 pieces; divide each dough piece into 3 pieces, cover dough not in use.
Roll each dough piece into round ball. Place 3 balls in each muffin cup. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, 30 minutes.
Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden.
Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes.
Remove from pans; serve or cool completely on rack.