- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 18
- Preparation Time:
- 2 pkgs. (1/4 oz. each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup very warm water (115 degrees-120 degrees)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed vegetable shortening
- 3 tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter three 6-cup muffin pans.
- In bowl stir yeast into warm water until dissolved.
- Stir in next 5 ingredients until combined. (Mixture will be lumpy.)
- Stir in flour, 1 cup at a time, until soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Divide into 18 pieces; divide each dough piece into 3 pieces, cover dough not in use.
- Roll each dough piece into round ball. Place 3 balls in each muffin cup. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, 30 minutes.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden.
- Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans; serve or cool completely on rack.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More