- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe great debate, Swiss Steak made with tomato gravy or brown gravy! Well let me tell you, I love it both ways and I don't make it often enough! We loved our dinner and the house smelled amazing! This is the 1st time that I've ever made it with onion gravy and it was so tasty! I found a packet of onion gravy hiding in my cabinet and decided I was making something with it for dinner! Swiss Steak, YES, that's what I'll make and my family was glad I did! The gravy thickened up nicely as it simmered so no other steps were needed to thicken the gravy! This was just the right amount of salty-ness for us! Nothing near the salty-ness in the French Onion Soup Mix!
I love cooking with my electric skillet and I don't use it often enough either! I love that you can leave it simmering and not really worry about it since I set the temp to where it kicks on and off about every 5 minutes or so! I think the bottom sirloin steak is so much more tender than a regular "round steak" which I've used before! Our grocery store doesn't carry plain old round steak anymore because the butcher told me it didn't sell well so I decided to go with the sirloin and I'm glad I did! Delicious! Comfort food!
- 2 pounds boneless bottom sirloin steak, cut into 6-8 serving pieces
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings
- 1 (.87 ounce packet) McCormick Onion Gravy Mix
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat electric skillet to 225°. Add oil.
- Slice steak into 6-8 serving pieces. Season with salt and pepper and brown in skillet.
- Slice onions and add to skillet while steak is browning.
- In a bowl, whisk cold water and packet of Onion Gravy Mix.
- Add to skillet after steak is browned and stir well.
- Cover and let cook 1 hour, turning steak over occasionally. You want the temp of your electric skillet at the point where it kicks off and on every so often. My electric skillet is pretty new so a good temp for mine is 225°-250°. You want the steak to simmer in the gravy.
- Served with corn and mashed potatoes and the gravy is amazing on the potatoes.