- Cooking Time: 45 - 75 minutes
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- 3 medium yellow onion, sliced into thin half-moons
- 1 cup sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
n a 4 quart nonreactive saucepan, combine the onions, vinegar, wine, water, sugar and thyme.
Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer slowly, stirring occasionally until the onions are very soft and the liquid has cooked down to a syrupy consistency. This will take somewhere between 45 minutes to 1 hr 15 mins.
The onions should be soft onions and not swimming in syrup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
!f the acid level is too high add more sugar so that you have a sweet and sour flavor.