- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 small bunches of beets
- 1 large peeled onion
- 7 to 8 cups low sodium, non-fat vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 TBS salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 TBS sugar
- 2 cups orange juice
- 4 TBS lime juice
- 1/2 TBS ground pepper, approx 24 twists of my grinder
- Zucchini or other edible flowers (day lilies are terrific)
- Trim beets leaving some of the stem end. Peel, rinse and place in a saucepan with the onion (whole). Add the stock and salt and bring to a boil, partially cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer until beets are tender-30 to 45 minutes, stick them with a fork to be sure.
- Remove from heat, take beets out of the liquid and let cool until you can handle them comfortably. Throw the onion away. Reserve the liquid, rinse the pan, you'll be using it again. Cut the beets into pieces small enough to be pureed in a food processor, adding some of the liquid to make it easier.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sour cream together, then stir in the puree. Return to the large saucepan and blend together. Add the sugar, orange and lime juice. If you need to add either salt or pepper do so now. Pour into a refrigerator container and chill. Serve cold with an eatable flower for garnish. This makes a beautiful pink soup that is very tasty. My recipe comes from my brother Michel. The rest of the reserved liquid makes a great base for a vegetable soup. Big hugs all around. lucas
NotesThis is a chilled soup, great for the dog days we are experiencing.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Growers' Giveback Potluck
Breads and Pastry 101
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!See More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More