- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 c. self-rising flour
- 1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup orange juice, strained through a sieve to get rid of any pulp
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line one 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flours. Set aside. (If you are going to add baking powder and salt , do so now.)
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and zest gradually and beat until fluffy, about three minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the orange juice and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about three-quarters full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
NotesRecipe notes, additions, and "how to" photos over at my blog:
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More