- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/4 Cups flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- Grated rind of l large orange
- 2 Eggs, room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- For the syrup and decoration:
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 Cup fresh orange juice, strained
- 3 Oranges slices, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- Line an 8-inch cake pan with wax paper and grease.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder onto a square of wax paper.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter or margarine until soft. Add the sugar and orange rind and continue beating until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time. Fold in the flour in three batches, then add the milk.
- Spoon into the prepared pan and bake until the cake pulls away from the sides, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven but leave in the pan.
- Meanwhile, for the syrup, dissolve the sugar in the orange juice over low heat. Add the orange slices and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove and drain. Let the syrup cool.
- Prick the cake all over with a fine skewer. Pour the syrup over the hot cake. It may seem at first that there is too much syrup for the cake to absorb, but it will soak it all up.
- Unmold when completely cooled and decorate with small triangles of the orange slices arranged on top.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MidLife Road Trip's
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Second Grade Holiday CookbookSee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More