- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ teas salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 teas. Vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- ½ teas. Baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 8oz pkg dates (chopped)
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1-4oz. can shredded coconut
- 1 lb. orange candy slices(diced)
- 1 teas each grated orange & lemon rind
- ¼ cup each orange juice &lemon juice
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- You will need a floured surface to dice orange candy...it is sticky, and I dust it so the pieces will mix around the batter.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. In another bowl, mix dates, candy, nuts, and coconut with ¼ cup flour. Sift dry ingredients together in a third bowl. Alternately fold dry mix and buttermilk into creamed sugar in several portions. Fold in fruit/candy mixture. Spoon into well-greased and floured 10 in. tube pan. Bake 2 ½ hours at 300 degrees.
- Mix last three ingredients when the cake is done. Pour on warm cake and cool in pan on a rack. Remove cool cake from pan and store airtight in cool place at least one day. Serve.
- We cook this before camping trips and use it for breakfast. We also enjoy it in the winter, anytime! I joke that it would also make a great doorstop, because it is very heavy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Watt's Cooking in PA?See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More