- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ teas salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 teas. Vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- ½ teas. Baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 8oz pkg dates (chopped)
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1-4oz. can shredded coconut
- 1 lb. orange candy slices(diced)
- 1 teas each grated orange & lemon rind
- ¼ cup each orange juice &lemon juice
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- You will need a floured surface to dice orange candy...it is sticky, and I dust it so the pieces will mix around the batter.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. In another bowl, mix dates, candy, nuts, and coconut with ¼ cup flour. Sift dry ingredients together in a third bowl. Alternately fold dry mix and buttermilk into creamed sugar in several portions. Fold in fruit/candy mixture. Spoon into well-greased and floured 10 in. tube pan. Bake 2 ½ hours at 300 degrees.
- Mix last three ingredients when the cake is done. Pour on warm cake and cool in pan on a rack. Remove cool cake from pan and store airtight in cool place at least one day. Serve.
- We cook this before camping trips and use it for breakfast. We also enjoy it in the winter, anytime! I joke that it would also make a great doorstop, because it is very heavy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More