- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Orange-sugar coating
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- About 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- For the coating: Pulse sugar and zest in food processor until blended, about 5 pulses. Transfer to medium bowl. (If making by hand, toss zest and sugar in medium bowl using fork until evenly blended).
- For the doughnuts: Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil in 4-quart saucepan until temperature reaches 350 degrees. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in medium bowl. Whisk eggs, sugar, and orange zest in large bowl. Whisk in orange juice, then butter, until well combined. Stir in flour mixture until evenly moistened.
- Using two dinner teaspoons, carefully drop heaping spoonsfuls of batter into hot oil. (You should be able to fit about 6 spoonsfuls in pan at one time. Do not overcrowd.) Fry, maintaining temperature between 325 to 350 degress, until doughnuts are crisp and deeply browned on all side, 3 to 6 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer doughnuts to plate lined with paper towels. Drain for 5 minutes. Add doughnuts to bowl with orange sugar and toss until well coated. Place on serving plate and repeat with remaining batter, regulating oil temperature as necessary. Doughnuts are best served warm.
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Thanksgiving With The Singing VeganSee More
Pizzoccheri Alla Valtellinesi
Summer Focaccia Basil SaladSee More