- Cooking Time: 10 minutes + standing
- Servings: 72 servings
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 drop red food coloring
- Additional sugar, optional
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a large heavy saucepan with the remaining butter; add sugar and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 9 minutes. Cook over medium-high heat until a candy thermometer reads 280° (soft-crack stage), stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, combine the water, pectin and baking soda (mixture will foam slightly). Cook and stir over high heat until mixture boils, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- When corn syrup mixture reaches 280° (soft-crack stage), remove from the heat. Return pectin mixture to medium-high heat; cook until mixture begins to simmer. Carefully and slowly ladle corn syrup mixture in a very thin stream into pectin mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the extract, peel and food coloring. Transfer to prepared pan. Let stand until firm, about 2 hours. Cut into squares. Roll in additional sugar if desired.
NotesI get nothing but rave reviews when I make these gumdrops and usually have to prepare three batches. The refreshing orange flavor is a nice change from the usual chocolate holiday candies.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More