Orange Mergine Pie
Why I Love This Recipe
My mom loves orange and dark chocolate and I found this recipe and put my own twist to it by adding a thin layer dark chocolate on the pie crust and I also added whole orange segments to the bottom on top of the chocolate.
Ingredients You'll Need
• 1 baked pie shell, 9-inch, cooled
• 1 cup sugar
• 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup warm water
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• 3 egg yolks
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons finely grated orange peel
• 3 egg whites
• 6 tablespoons sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, optional
Pie Filling Preparation:
• In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt. Stir in warm water and orange juice. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to boil. Boil gently, stirring, for 1 minute.
• Set mixture over boiling water and continue cooking for about 10 minutes longer.
• Beat egg yolks lightly then beat about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into them.
• Add the egg yolk mixture back to the hot mixture in top of double boiler, whisking well. Cook over boiling water for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
• Remove from over the hot water; blend in the butter, lemon juice, and orange peel.
• Let mixture cool slightly, then pour into cooled baked pie crust.
• Spoon meringue (below) onto pie, spreading to crust edge to seal filling in.
• Bake at 325° for 15 to 18 minutes, until nicely browned.
Beat egg whites until frothy; add cream of tartar and continue to beat until stiff enough to hold up. Add sugar gradually and continue beating until stiff and glossy. If desired, add vanilla or other flavoring.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Pie