- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryIf you're used to dry, dull Passover cake then you'll be thrilled with this moist, flavorful recipe. We love it — especially the two ingredient sauce.
- 3/4 cup matzo cake meal
- 1/4 cup Manischewitz Potato Starch, or other brand
- 12 large egg(s), separated
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup preserves, raspberry
- 1 cup unsweetened frozen raspberries, flash frozen, or fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift matzo cake meal with potato starch over a large bowl; sift again and set aside.
- Whip egg whites in a large bowl with a whisk or an electric mixer on high power until stiff and glossy; set aside.
- With a whisk or electric mixer on high power, whip egg yolks with sugar in a large bowl until light and satiny; add orange juice and zest and blend well.
- Fold egg whites into yolk mixture until just blended. Sift in matzo cake meal mixture; fold delicately to combine. Carefully pour batter into a 10-inch, 2 piece ungreased angel food cake pan or sponge cake pan.
- Bake until center of cake springs back to the touch, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and immediately invert sponge cake pan onto a wire rack; cool cake completely in pan, in inverted position.
- Meanwhile, to make topping, heat raspberry preserves in a small saucepan over low heat and toss in raspberries; mix well.
- When cake is completely cool, run a sharp knife around the outside and inside rings of the tube pan to loosen cake; transfer to a serving plate. Slice into 16 pieces and drizzle each slice with sauce just before serving. Yields 1 slice of cake per serving.
- You’ll need 1 large orange to yield the zest and juice for this cake.
- Cooking Tip: Cooling the cake upside down is one of the tricks of making a sponge cake light and tall. Invert the cake immediately upon removing it from the oven. Cool completely in the inverted position.
- This light-as-a-feather Passover cake can be made in a variety of flavors. You can substitute lemon or lime zest and juice for the orange zest and juice. Or forget the citrus juice and zest altogether and use two teaspoons of vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon of almond extract instead.
- Not Passover? You can use 1 cup of flour instead of the matzo cake meal and potato starch, if desired