- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryOrange salad is a typical winter side dish in Sicily. Usually prepared with red (blood) Sicilian oranges. The basic recipe is prepared with oranges and onions, seasoned with good quality EVOO mixed with orange juice, salt, pepper and parsley. Also, a very common preparation is with thinly sliced fennel and black olives.
No matter which recipe you choose, you'll be surprised how tasty and refreshing it is.
In Sicily, it is usually served as a side dish with grilled fish or meat, but also with cheese or salami.
- 2 oranges (preferably red Sicilian ones)
- 1 carrot
- 40 g speck (or prosciutto)
- a handful of pistachios
- 2 TBspoons EVOO
- salt, pepper
- Peel the oranges and collect the juice: cut off the top and the bottom and then cut off the skin removing the white skin underneath as well.
- Cut them into 1/2 cm thick slices.
- For seasoning, mix the orange juice you collected while peeling and cutting the oranges, with good quality extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour over the oranges and toss lightly to coat evenly.
- Wash and peel the carrots, slice them thinly (I used a mandoline). Cut the speck (or prosciutto) into stripes. Chop the pistacchios.
- Arrange the orange salad on two plates, add the sliced carrots, speck and chopped pistacchios, and serve. Simple as that. Enjoy immediately.