- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked brown basmati rice or basmati-wild rice blend
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup Whole Trade™ 365 Everyday Value® Organic Orange Juice
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add yellow onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in rice and cook, stirring often, until toasted, about 2 minutes. Add broth and orange juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork, then add green onions, currants, almonds, cilantro and salt and pepper and fluff again.
NotesThe sweet taste of oranges and dried currants complements the nutty-flavored brown rice and almonds in this pilaf. Citrus notes make it a perfect accompaniment to chicken or fish.
Per serving (about 7oz/187g-wt.): 270 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 46g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 14g sugar), 6g protein