- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked brown basmati rice or basmati-wild rice blend
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup Whole Trade™ 365 Everyday Value® Organic Orange Juice
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add yellow onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in rice and cook, stirring often, until toasted, about 2 minutes. Add broth and orange juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork, then add green onions, currants, almonds, cilantro and salt and pepper and fluff again.
NotesThe sweet taste of oranges and dried currants complements the nutty-flavored brown rice and almonds in this pilaf. Citrus notes make it a perfect accompaniment to chicken or fish.
Per serving (about 7oz/187g-wt.): 270 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 46g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 14g sugar), 6g protein
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
Angel Acres Soup & Chili CookbookSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce