- Cooking Time: 22
- Servings: 12 large (24 mini)
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 large egg whites(do not discard yolks, you'll need them for frosting)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 fresh orange (or 1 Tbsp dried zest)
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp softened butter
- Butter Cream Frosting:
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla (or orange extract for more citrus flavor)
- 1 egg yolk
- a few drops of food color, whatever you want
- Preheat oven 350
- Mix milk, egg whites, zest and extract set aside.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add butter while mixing on low one tbsp at a time. Mixture should be crumbly looking.
- Add milk mixture slowly and mix on low for a minute and a half until mousse like.
- Pour into cupcake/muffin tins with liners. Bake 18-22 minutes. (Until toothpick comes out clean.)
- While cupcakes cool mix together all frosting ingredients until whipped nicely. Put on cupcakes when completely cool and serve.
NotesI use a generic base for cupcakes and add my flavors from there... this one is for the Orange and Cocoa flavors.
Gluten-Free and Delicious
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Skinny Mojito for Cinco de Mayo
Spicy New England Style Lobster Roll
Avocado & Swiss Sprouted Wheat PizzaSee More