- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 2 hours
BackstoryThese are just a little different kind of breakfast roll..you won't find cinnamon, but there is a great deal of flavor from the cardamom, ginger and orange. A little yogurt in the glaze is a good foil for the sweetness of the powdered sugar.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 4- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 cup mashed, cooked sweet potato
- 1 orange, peeled and sectioned
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (6 oz) container vanilla yogurt
- 2-2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, butter, granulated sugar, and orange peel until the butter is almost melted and the milk is 110-115 degrees F. (bathwater warm to the touch).
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour, the yeast, salt, ginger, cardamom, and sweet potato. Add the warm milk mixture and beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping down the side of the bowl. Turn the speed to medium and continue to beat for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Form the dough into a ball and place into a greased bowl, turning once. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free area until doubled in size; about 1 hour.
- Gently deflate the dough, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, grease 24 muffin cups and set aside.
- Divide the dough into 24 pieces; shape into balls. Place one ball into each prepared muffin cup. Cover loosely with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with cooking spray, and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes (if preparing ahead of time, refrigerate the dough overnight and allow the rolls to rise for about one hour before baking). Bake at 350 degrees F. for 22 to 25 minutes or until golden. Invert the rolls onto a wire rack and cool slightly. Place the rolls on a serving plate and spoon the glaze over them. Serve warm.
- In a blender, combine the orange sections, orange peel, and vanilla. Cover and blend until nearly smooth. Blend in the yogurt. In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup of the orange mixture* with 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Stir in enough of the remaining powdered sugar until glaze is of spooning consistency.
- * Refrigerate the remaining orange mixture or blend in some additional fruit and use as a smoothie.
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of CookingSee More
Teriyaki Turkey Sliders
Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
Anisette sponge cookiesSee More