- Cooking Time: 9-11 minutes
- Servings: 5 dozen
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
- COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl (whisk together well with a fork).
- Beat (cream together) butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture (1/2 cup at a time; mix well after each addition).
- Stir in morsels.
- (Using a small ice cream scoop), drop onto ungreased (Kaiser aluminum) baking sheets.
- BAKE for (exactly 10) 9-11 minutes or until golden brown. (Immediately loosen cookies from baking sheets with a flat metal spatula, then) remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- (I've never made these) PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars.
- (I've never made these) SLICE AND BAKE COOKIE VARIATION:
- PREPARE dough as above. Divide in half; wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Shape each half into 15-inch log; wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.* Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
- * May be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 week or in freezer for up to 8 weeks.
- (I'm right about at sea level so this does not apply) FOR HIGH ALTITUDE BAKING (5,200 feet): Increase flour to 2 1/2 cups. Add 2 teaspoons water with flour and reduce both granulated sugar and brown sugar to 2/3 cup each. Bake drop cookies for 8 to 10 minutes and pan cookie for 17 to 19 minutes.
NotesEveryone thinks I have a top-secret recipe for chocolate chip cookies; the fact is, I use the one from the back of the Nestle Semisweet Chocolate Morsels bag. For real.
My secrets? I use unsalted butter, kosher salt, light brown sugar and leave out the nuts. The rest is technique and equipment. I use a Kitchenaid KSM5 stand mixer and have added my personal techniques in parenthesis within the directions section.