- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups uncooked orzo
- 1 eggplant (about 1 pound) unpeeled
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups primavera-style spaghetti sauce
- 1 Tbsp. garlic
- 1 large tomato, cubed
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups shredded low0fat mozzarella cheese
- 3 Tbsp. parmesan cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450. Grease a 2-3 qt. baking dish. Bring pot of lightly salted water to a boil over medium heat. Cook orzo according to directions. When just tender, drain, rinse and drain again. Set aside.
- Cube eggplant. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add eggplant and saute' for about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup sauce, garlic, tomato, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile scoop half the orzo into baking dish. Layer eggplant on top of orzo. Sprinkle eggplant with 2 cups mozzarella. Layer remaining orzo on cheese. Spread remaining cheese and 1 cup sauce on orzo.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese melts and bubbles. Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan. Serve hot