- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 clove garlic
- rind of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1/4 cup celery, minced
- 1/4 cup carrot, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced fine
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, minced fine
- 2 tablespoons Sutter Home Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds freshly ground veal
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil, for the grill rack
- 6 soft Italian scalli rolls, split
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 beefsteak tomato slices
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- To Prepare the Gremolata: Mayonnaise, place garlic, lemon rind and parsley in spice/coffee grinder and process until finely minced. In a small bowl add mayonnaise, salt and pepper, the minced garlic/lemon mixture and stir until smooth. Cover and chill until serving time.
- Preheat a gas grill to medium-high heat for direct cooking.
- On a 12" x 12" piece of heavy duty aluminum foil, place the minced onion, celery, carrot, thyme and rosemary. Sprinkle with the Sauvignon Blanc and the olive oil and give a gentle toss. When the grill is ready, fold up the foil into a packet and place on the grill for approx. 10-15 minutes or till the vegetables are soft. Let cool while preparing the burger mixture.
- For the burgers, in a large bowl add the veal, parmesan cheese, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Add the cooled vegetables and combine the mixture completely, handling as gently as possible. Divide the meat mixture into 6 portions and form into patties to fit the rolls. With a soup spoon, make a shallow indentation on the top of each patty. This prevents the patties from "ballooning" when being grilled!
- Brush the grill with the canola oil (and again when turning the patties). Place the patties on the grill and cook for 5-6 minutes per side, or until internal temperature reads 160 degrees F. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the split rolls cut side down on the edge of the grill and lightly toast. Remove and lightly spread each side with softened butter.
- To assemble, place burger on the bottom of roll and spread with Gremolata mayonnaise. Add a tomato slice then lettuce leaf. Add the roll top and serve.
NotesI entered these in the Build a Better Burger contest three years ago. I didn't win. :(
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Simple Homemade Favorites
The Italian Exchange
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Short Sharp Chops
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD / MUFFINSSee More