- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 5
- Ingredients for 2 people:
- One full package fresh baby spinach
- 1 small sweet onion or ½ large sweet onion
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 4 large pasteurized eggs
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Thinly slice the onion and sauté over medium in the olive oil.
- While onions are sautéing remove the fat from the bacon and chop into pieces; discard the fat or reserve for another use.
- Add bacon to onions and sauté for about 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the bacon is almost cooked.
- While bacon and onions are cooking bring about 3 inches of water to a boil and add the vinegar. Once boiling reduce heat to just barely simmer.
- Add the spinach and turn with tongs until completely wilted and mixed with the bacon and onions. Saute for 2 minutes; just until spinach is cooked. Do not overcook!
- Give the water a gentle stir and just after you add the spinach to the onions and bacon, drop the eggs in one at a time to poach. (first break the eggs into a cup) 3 minutes will give you medium firm egg; runny yolk and solid whites.
- Divide the spinach evenly between two dinner plates and top with two poached eggs. Sprinkle black lava salt (if you have another kind of salt like truffle salt, that is great too!) and fresh ground black pepper. Serve with a large chunk of toasted baguette.
NotesOut with the Old & In with the New
I should say up front that the title is really quite misleading! First of all, I’m not really big on New Year Resolutions because I don’t like the idea of setting yourself up for failure. New Year’s resolutions usually seem to go something like this: I resolve to quit smoking or I resolve to eat right or I resolve to lose weight and then one little slip-up and you feel like you’ve failed. I’m just not an all or nothing kind of person and I work hard at choosing the positive over the negative.
I believe in trying; at giving it your best and remembering to acknowledge that effort. With all of the holiday sweets and delectable treats on offer over the past month I have over indulged to the max. My pants are too tight, my cheeks are actually getting chubby and no I haven’t exercised one little bit! So, even before the New Year arrives I’m returning, at least part of the time, to my normal healthy dining routine.
Does that mean I will not have a drink or treat at my neighbor’s open house tomorrow? No it does not. But yesterday’s dinner was a delightfully light and healthy meal that was ultimately as satisfying as any holiday extravaganza. That is the start, the initial successful effort to regain control and return to normal.
Ah normal; and what is normal? Trying ones best to make the right choices as often as possible; that’s my normal. We are, after all, human and prone to being less than perfect. And isn’t that a good thing? I believe it is! Just think of all the wonderful things in our lives that came about from mistakes. Champagne for one!
Back to making choices; for me that’s eating fresh, seasonal foods grown locally whenever possible. If it’s in season we eat it, if not usually we don’t. So last night’s dinner was a large portion of fresh spinach lightly sautéed with sweet onions, topped with two poached eggs and served with a lovely chunk of toasted baguette. Loads of flavor, tons of vitamins, iron, protein and a nice serving of carbs for long lasting energy were not only satisfying but a visual treat as well.
Two courses of veggies and then fruit for dessert are the menu for tonight’s dinner; roasted cauliflower sprinkled with black lava salt to start, broccoli rabe crostini topped with fresh goat cheese will come second and yogurt with bananas to finish. Three courses; all abundantly flavorful, offering a variety of colors and textures, nutritionally well balanced and yet light in calories, who could ask for more?
Since I have everything organized for tonight I’ll have time for a short power walk before dinner. This double treat of cold fresh evening air to stimulate the senses and a bit of exercise to get the heart pumping are also absolutely free for the taking!
We’ll see what choices tomorrow brings; in the mean time, today is a great day!