- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cream-style horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash ground black pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- The Onion
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1 giant Spanish onion (3/4 pound or more)
- Vegetable oil for frying pepper
- Prepare the dipping sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Keep the sauce covered in your refrigerator until needed.
- Beat the egg and combine it with the milk in a medium bowl big enough to hold the onion.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, peppers, oregano, thyme, and cumin.
- Now it's time to slice the onion-this is the trickiest step. First slice 3/4 inch to 1 inch off the top and bottom of the onion. Remove the papery skin. Use a thin knife to cut a 1-inch diameter core out of the middle of the onion. Now use a very sharp, large knife to slice the onion several times down the center to create the "petals" of the completed onion. First slice through the center of the onion to about three-fourths of the way down. Turn the onion 90 degrees and slice it again in an "x" across the first slice. Keep slicing the sections in half, very carefully, until you've cut the onion 16 times. Do not cut down to the bottom. The last 8 slices are a little hairy, just use a steady hand and don't worry if your onion doesn't look like a perfect flower. It'll still taste good.
- Spread the "petals" of the onion apart. The onion sections tend to stick together, so you'll want to separate them to make coating easier.
- Dip the onion in the milk mixture, and then coat it liberally with the dry ingredients. Again separate the "petals" and sprinkle the dry coating between them. Once you're sure the onion is well-coated, dip it back into the wet mixture and into the dry coating again. This double dipping makes sure you have a well- coated onion because some of the coating tends to wash off when you fry. Let the onion rest in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes while you get the oil ready.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep pot to 350 degrees. Make sure you use enough oil to completely cover the onion when it fries.
- Fry the onion right side up in the oil for 10 minutes or until it turns brown.
- When the onion has browned, remove it from the oil and let it drain on a rack or paper towels.
- Open the onion wider from the center so that you can put a small dish of the dipping sauce in the center. You may also use plain ketchup.
- Serves 2 to 4 as an appetizer or snack
NotesAlthough the restaurant uses a special device to make the slicing process easier, you can make the incisions with a sharp knife. It just takes a steady hand and a bit of care.
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
It's all about that protein
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.See More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More