- Cooking Time: 80
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 796 ml (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste or ketchup
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp chili powder (more if you like things spicy)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 540 ml (19 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 311 g (11 oz) can corn kernels, with liquid
- 3 cups baby spinach
- Toppings of choice: vegan sour cream, avocado, cilantro, vegan cheese, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium frying pan (or stove-top-safe 2.8 liter/3 quart casserole dish). Add onion and garlic, and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; and transfer to oven-safe casserole dish if not already using one.
- Add quinoa, deced tomatoes (with juice), water, nutritional yeast, tomato paste (or ketchup), and spices. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- COVER and place in oven and set timer for 30 minutes.
- Caferfully remove casserole from oven and stir in drained beans and corn (with liquid). If the mixture looks dry, add a half cup of water.
- Return to oven WITH LID and set timer for another 30 minutes.
- Caferfully remove casserole from oven and stir in spinach. It will wilt from the heat.
- Top with sour cream, diced avocado and/or cilantro and serve.
- IF FREEZING: Make full recipe but leave-out the spinach and toppings. Let cool and freeze in airtight container(s). To serve: defrost fully, lightly reheat (in microwave or on stovetop), stir in spinach and add toppings of choice.
NotesPer author: The quinoa cooks directly in the oven, so you don’t have to worry about boiling and preparing it first. If you have a stove-top-to-oven dish, then this is a one-pot meal. If you’re working with a limited kitchen (like me), then you’ll have to fry up the onion and garlic in a frying pan before tossing them into to your casserole dish. Either way, this is a super easy dish that I hope you’ll love as much as I did.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More