- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 475 F.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise, then cut each half into about 6 long wedges or use a potatoe fry cutter. Alternatively, cut each potato into thin rounds. A mandoline (a hand-operated device that evenly slices vegetables) also can be used to cut uniform wedges or rounds.
- Transfer the cut potatoes to a large zip-lock plastic bag. Add the oil, cumin and chili powder. Seal the bag and shake to evenly coat the potatoes. Transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet and arrange in a single layer.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until the fries are crisp. For more even crisping, use a spatula to flip the fries after 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot (and with gobs of ketchup).
- PREP TIME 20 Min
- COOK TIME 50 Min
- SERVINGS 4
NotesAs for method of coating, I prefer the shake-it-and-bake-it technique. I toss all the ingredients in a zip-lock plastic bag, seal it and shake vigorously, then pour onto a baking sheet.
Whether to flip the fries during baking to get more uniform crisping is a personal choice. Out of sheer laziness, I generally don't. But for more exacting cooks, flipping takes little effort
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
50 Shades of Taste
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Two Layer Peppermint Bark
Spicy Bean Tamales
The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever!See More