- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 475 F.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise, then cut each half into about 6 long wedges or use a potatoe fry cutter. Alternatively, cut each potato into thin rounds. A mandoline (a hand-operated device that evenly slices vegetables) also can be used to cut uniform wedges or rounds.
- Transfer the cut potatoes to a large zip-lock plastic bag. Add the oil, cumin and chili powder. Seal the bag and shake to evenly coat the potatoes. Transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet and arrange in a single layer.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until the fries are crisp. For more even crisping, use a spatula to flip the fries after 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot (and with gobs of ketchup).
- PREP TIME 20 Min
- COOK TIME 50 Min
- SERVINGS 4
NotesAs for method of coating, I prefer the shake-it-and-bake-it technique. I toss all the ingredients in a zip-lock plastic bag, seal it and shake vigorously, then pour onto a baking sheet.
Whether to flip the fries during baking to get more uniform crisping is a personal choice. Out of sheer laziness, I generally don't. But for more exacting cooks, flipping takes little effort
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Amsterdam Friends Cookbook
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Watt's Cooking in PA?See More
Short Sharp Chops
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD / MUFFINSSee More