- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryA delicious new twist on asparagus, adapted from an oven-roasted broccoli recipe.
Recipe from Confections of a Foodie Bride
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1/8 extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 t. crushed red pepper (optional)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat the oil and garlic in a small saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes. Make sure the heat is low and that the garlic is not cooking too fast.
- Wash and cut off ends woody ends of asparagus.
- After the oil and garlic has heated for five minutes (the garlic should be turning golden brown, not burning!), add the crushed chili if using, heat for an additional minute then turn off stove.
- Strain chili-garlic oil into a large, heat-proof mixing bowl then add the asparagus.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the bowl then add a pinch of coarse salt (keep in mind that the cheese will add more saltiness) and several grinds of black pepper.
- Toss everything together well with a big wooden spoon so that each piece of asparagus has a thin coating of oil.
- Using tongs, so that the excess oil drains off, remove the asparagus to a rimmed baking sheet and spread it out in a single layer.
- Place asparagus in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 10 minutes. If your oven tends to be hot, check the asparagus earlier. If you like it to be extra tender, leave it in longer.
- While the asparagus is roasting, grate some fresh parmigiano reggiano.
- When the asparagus is done, immediately toss it with as much cheese as you desire.
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Bombshell Approved: Fast, Simple, SatisfyingSee More
Sauteed mushrooms with soybean paste
Lamb Loin Chops with Mushroom Marsala SauceSee More