- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryWhen you take them out of the oven, they look underbaked with only the edges slightly golden. However, don't bake them any longer.
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teasoon salt
- 1 cup quick cooking oats (I use whatever I have on hand)
- 1/2 cup shortening (regular OR butter flavored)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (not margarine)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (325 degrees for a convection oven)
- Stir together: Flour, baking soda, salt, and oatmeal. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream: Shortening, butter, brown and white sugars, and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Drop by tablespoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes OR just starting to brown. Do NOT overbake.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
- NOTE: I generally bake the cookies no more than 10 minutes, and the edges are slightly golden. They burn easily.