- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. flour
- 2 Tb. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/4 c. pine nuts or walnuts, divided
- 1/2 c. fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 1/2 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tb. milk
- 1/2 c. shredded Provolone cheese
- 1 egg white mixed with 1/2 tsp. water for glaze.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Butter a 9" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Place 1 Tb. pine nuts in container of food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process 'til finely chopped. Scrape nuts into small bowl. Add basil, oil, and garlic to container of food processor. Process for 20 seconds or 'til basil is finely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides of container with rubber scraper, if necessary. Scrape mixture into small bowl. Stir egg and milk into basil mixture. Add basil mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. The dough will be sticky. With lightly flour hands, knead in Provolone cheese 'til evenly distributed. With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 8" circle in center of prepared baking sheet.
- Brush egg mixture over top and sides of dough. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Sprinkle surface of dough with remaining 3 Tb. pine nuts and press them gently into dough. Bake for 25-30 min. or 'til cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack to cool for 5 min. Using spatula, transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Notes"Perfect serves with minestrone soup or an Italian dinner."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
"Pretty Food" for the home ChefSee More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More