- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 large green onions
- 1. Make the sauce by heating 2 tsp of oil in medium saucepan over med/low heat.
- Don't get the oil too hot or you'll get spatter hwen adding the other liquids.
- Add ginger and garlic to the pan and quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches.
- Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, then raise the heat to about medium and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Remove it from heat.
- 2. Slice the flank steak against the grain into 1/4 inch thick bite-size slices.
- Tilt the blade of your knife at about a 45 degree angle to the top of the steak so that you get wider cuts.
- 3. Dip the steak pieces into the cornstarch and apply a thin dusting to both sides of each piece of beef.
- Let the beef sit for about 10 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks.
- 4. As the beef sits, heat up one cup of oil in a wok (or skillet).
- Heat the oil over medium heat until it's nice and hot, but not smoking.
- Add the beef to the oil and saute for 2 minutes or until the beef just begins to darken on the edges.
- You don't need a thorough cooking here since the beef will go back on the heat later.
- Stire the meat around a little so it cooks evenly.
- After a couple of minutes, use a large slotted spoon to take the meat out and place it on paper towels.
- Then pour the oil out of the wok.
- Put the pan back over the heat, dump the meat back into it and simmer for one minute.
- Add the sauce, cook for one minute while stirring, then add all the green onions. cook for one more minute, then remove the beef and onions with tongs or a slotted spoon to a serving plate.
- Elave the excess sauce behind in the pan.
- You can also substitute chicken for the beef, if you prefer it.
NotesThis really does look and taste like PF Chang's Mongolian Beef. :)
Thank you to my mother-in-law for sharing this recipe with us. :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
A Falcon Feast
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSWSee More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More