- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups flour 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 tsp. salt 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 c. crisco 1 teasp. vinegar
- MY FAVORITE LEMON PIE
- 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon lemon zest (grate from one lemon)
- 1-1/4 cups water 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tbs. butter (pure) 2 Tbs. milk
- 1/4 cup cornstartch, mixed with 3 tablespoons cold water
- 6 Tbs. fresh squeezed lemon juice (3 large lemons)
- 3 egg whites (for meringue) 3 Tbs. sugar (Beat to stiff peaks, add sugar and mix well)
- Combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Combine egg and water, sprinkle over the flour mixture. Add vinegar and stir until mixture forms a ball. Divide into 4 portions, wrap in waxed paper, chill until cold. Place on a floured board and roll into a round pie shell about 1/4 inch thick. Place in pie pan and bake at 400% 10 to 15 minutes. Leave unbaked for fruit pies and make several small slits in bottom of shell before adding fruit.
- Lemon Pie: Place in top of double boiler the sugar, water, butter, lemon juice and cornstartch mixture. Stir well to mix together and place over boiling water. Cook stirring occasionally until mixture is thick. Take a small amount of the hot mixture and stir quickly in to the egg yolks and milk, add this back to the hot pie filling, stir in zest. Bring back to a boil and cook until the filling is clear and bubbly about 5 more minutes. Poor into a prebaked pie crust, cool and frost with meringue.
NotesNEVER FAIL PIE CRUST (I make these a day before using. Use what I need and freeze the rest).