- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced pineapple, drained with juice reserved
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter two 9 inch round cake pans. Sprinkle the bottom of each pan with 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
- In one of the pans, sprinkle coconut over the brown sugar. Lay pineapple rings in a single layer on top of coconut. Place a cherry in the center of each ring. In the other pan, spread the drained crushed pineapple.
- Mix the cake as directed on package, but substitute reserved pineapple juice in place of water. Divide batter between the 2 pans. Remember which pan has the pineapple rings in it.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool in pans for 20 minutes.
- While the bottoms of the cake pans are still warm to the touch, invert the layer with the crushed pineapple out onto a serving dish, then gently invert the layer with the pineapple rings on top of it for a dazzling two layer pineapple upside down cake.