- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. flour
- 1/3 c. firmly packed light brownsugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 Tb. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/2 c. plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 c. chopped plums (2 to 4 firm fresh plums)
- 1/2 c. slivered blanched almonds, toasted (see Note)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly butter a baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together yogurt, egg and vanilla. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in chopped plums and almonds 'til they are evenly distributed.
- Using a 1/4 c. measuring cup, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2" between scones. Bake for 15-17 min. or 'til tops are lightly browned and cake tester or toothpick inserted in center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
- Note: To toast almonds, place the almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 375º for 5-7 min. shaking the sheet a couple of times 'til nuts are lightly browned.
Notes"Pieces of fresh plums add flavor and moisture to these summertime scones."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Holiday "Butt" Stuffing
Pumpkin Pie With Perfect Pie Crust
Nacho Cheese DipSee More