- Cooking Time: 1hour
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
BackstoryPOM Wonderful sent me a case of their new POM-Cranberry juice. I chose the unhealthy route....actually, this pie is quite light. Make it lighter with the lo-cal whipped topping.
- 4 eggs, separated
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup POM-Cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (8 oz) container non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
- 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Grease a 9” glass pie plate (or spray with cooking spray).
- In large bowl, beat 4 egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff, but not dry. Add 1 cup sugar slowly until stiff and glossy.
- Spread meringue in pie plate, making a “well” in the center for the filling.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour. Turn off the heat and leave crust in oven for at least one hour or, preferably, overnight.
- In small, heavy saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, POM-Cranberry juice, lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar. Heat over medium-low heat until mixture thickens and starts to bubble. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and bring to room temperature.
- Fold whipped topping into POM mixture; add a few drops of red food coloring, if desired. Spread into pie shell and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for several hours.
- When ready to serve, whip whipping cream with vanilla and powdered sugar and spread over the top of the pie. Garnish with fresh pomegranate arils if available.