- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups of water
- 1 package split peas
- 1/2 LB carrots
- 1/2 LB celery
- 1 medium potato
- 1 LB ham
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pick and clean the split peas. Peal the carrots; cut them in thin strips
- lengthwise, then cut them across to dice about 1/4 inch in size. Wash the
- celery stalks. Cut them just like you did the carrots. Do the same to the
- potato. Dice the ham in half inch cubes.
- In a large pot bring the water to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring again to a boil, then lower to simmer. Simmer until the desire
- doneness of the split peas is achieved. Some people prefer them puree others
- with a little more consistency to them. I like them "lumpy" and tender but not puree.