- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled for 5 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 3/4 teaspoon round cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3-1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspooon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled well and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 5 tablespoons (or more) cold water
- Chimichurri Sauce (optional)
- For filling:
- (This can be made in advance and refrigerated until ready to use.)
- Grate the potatoes and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Add the ground beef and brown, breaking up as it cooks.
- Add potatoes, onion, spices and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until ingredients are soft.
- For pastry:
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add enough cold water for the dough to come together and form a ball.
- Knead until smooth.
- Let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured board roll pastry to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Using a 5 to 6 inch cutter, punch out rounds. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the filling in center of each.
- Fold pastry in half and seal edges, crimping with a fork.
- Bake on ungreased sheet for 15-20 minutes. Serve with chimichurri sauce, or eat as is
NotesA lady from San Salvadore made these at a church supper. She was the wife of a refugee couple whom our church sponsored and this was what she did to thank everyone for their help.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More