- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled for 5 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 3/4 teaspoon round cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3-1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspooon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled well and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 5 tablespoons (or more) cold water
- Chimichurri Sauce (optional)
- For filling:
- (This can be made in advance and refrigerated until ready to use.)
- Grate the potatoes and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Add the ground beef and brown, breaking up as it cooks.
- Add potatoes, onion, spices and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until ingredients are soft.
- For pastry:
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add enough cold water for the dough to come together and form a ball.
- Knead until smooth.
- Let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured board roll pastry to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Using a 5 to 6 inch cutter, punch out rounds. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the filling in center of each.
- Fold pastry in half and seal edges, crimping with a fork.
- Bake on ungreased sheet for 15-20 minutes. Serve with chimichurri sauce, or eat as is
NotesA lady from San Salvadore made these at a church supper. She was the wife of a refugee couple whom our church sponsored and this was what she did to thank everyone for their help.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Home cookingSee More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More