- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 Tb. rum or water
- 3/4 c. pecans
- 2 1/4 c. flour
- 1/3 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1/2 tsp. water for glaze (optional)
- 16 pecan halves for garnish
- Lightly oil a 10" diameter circle on baking sheet. In small heavy saucepan stir together sugar and rum. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly 'til sugar dissolves. Increase to high heat and bring mixture to boil. Cook without stirring for 4 min. or 'til mixture turns amber and caramelizes. Immediately stir in pecans and stir to coat the nuts with the syrup. Immediately scrape mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Cool for 20 min. or 'til hardened. Transfer mixture to cutting board and chop the praline.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly butter a 10" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together eggs, cream and vanilla. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. The dough will be sticky. With lightly floured hands, knead in the praline 'til evenly distributed.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 9" circle in center of prepared baking sheet. Brush egg mixture over top and sides of dough. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Press 2 pecan halves onto the end of each wedge. Bake fro 20-25 min. or 'til cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 10 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
- These scones freeze well.
Notes"Even great for dessert."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More