- Cooking Time: 45
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a bit of work, but worth every minute!
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- 1 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
- Maple Caramel (see recipe)
- Pumpkin Custard (see recipe)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Bring 1/2 cup water, milk, butter, sugar, and salt to boil in heavy large saucepan. Stir in flour; cook over medium-high heat, stirring vigorously, until dough is smooth and pulls away from sides of pan, about 1 minute.
- Transfer hot mixture to standing mixer. Beat dough with paddle attachment at medium speed until slightly cool, about 3 minutes. Add 3 eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Beat in egg yolk until blended.
- Spoon 16 mounds of batter about the size of large eggs onto prepared sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Beat remaining egg in small bowl to blend. Brush tops of profiteroles lightly with beaten egg.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 375°F. Continue baking until puffed and dark golden brown, about 30 minutes longer. Transfer to rack to cool completely. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Store in airtight container in freezer. Remove from freezer a few hours before continuing.)
- Rewarm caramel sauce. Using serrated knife, slice profiteroles horizontally in half. Spoon rounded 1/3 cup filling into bottom half of each profiterole. Cover with top halves. Drizzle with sauce. Spoon dollop of whipped cream atop profiteroles. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and serve. Bon Appetit