- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6 scones
- Preparation Time:
- Pumpkin Scones:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin (if canned, be sure there are no spices or sugar added)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix together flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and cut into flour. Mixture should look like coarse crumbs. In a separate bowl mix together the pumpkin, buttermilk and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and mix until the dough comes together (don't over-mix).
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead gently 3-4 times, and then shape/pat dough into a circle about 1 1/2 inches thick. Slice in half, and then cut each half into 3 equal pie-shaped wedges. Brush with egg glaze (1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp milk), and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar.
- ( Turbinado Sugar is a dark brown fine-grained crunchy sweetener made by the concentration of sugarcane juice WITHOUT the use of any chemicals).
- Bake on a cookie sheet for @ 375° for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Optional: Add white chocolate chips and/or chopped pecans.
- Pumpkin Spice Butter:
- 1/4 cup (half a stick) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- Combine all and mix till creamy.
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
VivaVeganGal's Family Favorites
Thanksgiving With The Singing VeganSee More
Mama Mia ... Lentils Italian Style
Gabriola Clam Chowder
Gen's Vegetable Love PizzaSee More